Tiger The Chihuahua Leaps Into Action



THIS is Tiger and his proud owner Carol Hopkins.
Carol is deaf and Tiger has been such a help in Carol's bid to become independent that she has nominated him for a Hearing Dogs for Deaf People award.
Carol, 72, who has had Tiger for six years, said: “I nominated Tiger because he quite possibly saved my life.

“When I lie down, I sometimes suffer a reflux problem which means I can vomit and choke. Not long after Tiger came to live with me, I had one of these episodes in my sleep.

“I woke to find Tiger scrabbling at my face and licking me constantly to wake me up. Had he not been there, I could have choked to death.

“On another occasion, I fell out of my electric wheelchair, bringing it down on top of me. Tiger ran out to the garden to alert Marion, my carer.

“Marion put a blanket over me to keep me warm until the paramedics arrived. Tiger lay on the blanket and comforted me until help arrived.”

Carol, of Pant, Merthyr Tydfil, used to attend choir rehearsals, was involved in national Eisteddfodau and conducted a male choir at the Royal Albert Hall. But in 1973 an accident left her deaf.

“The accident threw me into this dreadful hell of silence,” said Carol. “But since Tiger came into my life I have regained my confidence and love for music. Tiger has turned my life around completely.”

The Hearing Dog of the Year awards will be held in London on October 6. Tickets cost £200 each from the charity’s fundraising team.

From: www.walesonline.co.uk/

Comments