Rusty The Roamer


















A dog snatched from its owner in New South Wales, Australia, in May has turned up in Darwin, 3,000km (1,800 miles) away.
Rusty, an eight-year-old poodle/maltese cross, was picked up earlier this week by a Darwin City Council ranger and taken to the local dog pound.
A council spokesman said Rusty appeared confused and needed a good wash.
Luckily, Rusty had been microchipped and the Darwin pound was astonished to find he was owned by someone living in Woy Woy, on the NSW Central Coast.
His owner, Shirley Lowry, had made appeals in her local newspaper for Rusty's return.
He had disappeared while she was inside a local newsagency.
"I love him to death," Ms Lowry said. "I can't believe I'll see my little fella again.
"It just goes to show the value of having your dog micro-chipped so they can come home to their owners."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Having your pets microchipped is so important. I hummed and hawed about getting my spaniel microchipped but had it done in the end. Then he got frightened during a thunderstorm and ran off. He was picked up by a dog warden five miles away and, thanks to micrchip, was soon back home with me.
It's a lesson to us all, Len. I don't think Shirley Lowry would ever have gotten Rusty back if hadn't been microchipped.
Anonymous said…
I've had all my dogs microchipped. I fortunately haven't needed it yet but it brings peace of mind.
Mary: Thanks for commenting. I think the story is a lesson to all pet-owners.